Friday, September 08, 2006

Cutest thing ever

So today while we were working I glanced over at the sheep in the next paddock and noticed (for whatever reason) that one of them in particular was laying down. Now this is nothing unusual. There are most often many sheep laying down. However, when I glanced back at the paddock about two minutes later the same sheep was standing up. Again, this is not unusual. Sheep stand up and sit down all the time. However, when I looked a bit closer I realized that this particular ewe was also munching on something. As I looked closer I realized that it was in fact the placenta of the lamb that it had just (right that second) birthed. Now I know that this is all a part of nature and that the placenta is full of nutrients etc. but needless to say the placenta eating was not the "cutest thing ever" referenced above. The lamb however was in fact the cutest thing ever. It took it a while to get itself free of the sack but once it did it was only about thee attempts later that it was up on its feet wobbling around and being adorable. Anyway, I thought this was a pretty cool thing to see like that without really looking for it and I thought I should share. Oh! also the farmer who owns all of these sheep has been breeding them to have twins and triplets so this lamb was just one of a pair that came out right then. I didn't see the second one born but Wal told me it came out healthy and happy.


Matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will add a cute lamb picture to your next post!

David said...

Very very cool. And so appropriate -- being down under and all....I want to see the picture also!
dpg

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding the pic!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... placenta...

Archive