Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Update


This is "Cannibal Cove" in the Catlins

So I think there was some confusion about why we moved again. The place we stayed when we first got here (to Dunedin) was the living-room of Carrie's friend Elizabeth. We were not planning on spending much time there we just need a place to crash while we found somewhere else to stay. The first place we checked out was a hostel that was at the top of the steepest hill in the southern hemisphere (no joke). And the woman there seemed like she would be pretty stressful to work with/for. So we held out for something better and we found it. Now we are staying at the amazing hostel called Elm Lodge. We are staying here in an incredible room in exchange for two hours of work per day. In reality though we do a whole week at once. As I type I am working the desk. My shift is from 9:00am to 8:00pm so that takes care of a full week. Its a great deal. We don't get our food paid for but we do have a kitchen so we just go grocery shopping and feed ourselves. Anyway, that's where we are. Now to what we're doing:
So far since we've been here we have done a tour at the Cadbury chocolate factory. That was fun but it turns out that I don't really like anything that Cadbury makes except for the eggs and the milk chocolate. Everything else was sort of weird. We also went to the Speights Brewery tour. That was great! It is a really cool old brewery here in Dunedin. I learned all sorts of stuff and at the end you have 15 minutes to drink all you can. So I gave it my best. I've been playing a bunch of Ultimate here. There is a fairly active ultimate community in Dunedin. They play on Wednesday nights and Sundays but there are also several players who are training to represent the kiwis at the world championships in Perth this November. So I've been working out with them on Thursdays and Mondays. Last Thursday we just did sprint training I limped for three days afterwards. Also, last weekend we went south to the region called the "Catlins." It is the southernmost point on the south island with lots of cool bays, inlets and points to hike (limp) around. Ok, enough rambling. I hope everything at home is good. We're doing great. I have to go check the laundry now.

Matt

p.s. Happy Birthday David!

1 comment:

David said...

Thanks Matt! I am so excited that you are playing disc down there. That makes the trip worth while already! With that much ultimate, and only having to work one day a week, I'd be tempted to stay in Dunedin for the whole year!
loveya, dpg

Archive