Thursday, October 19, 2006

Too Much...

So most of you probably already know the adage that I created. It is:

"Too much is always enough"

It is really quite clever and something that I have been proud of ever since I created it. It just has the ring of an old saying. Now, for those of you who are thinking "but more is not always better" I invite you to look closer. I'm not saying that too much is always better. I'm saying that it is always enough. This saying comes up a lot with cooking pasta. (i.e. "Should I make one pound of pasta for dinner or should I make two? Well, as the saying goes, too much is always enough").
Ok, so for several years now I have been trying to spread the use of my saying. Fast-forward to NZ.
A few weeks ago I was out on the town with some friends we made at the hostel in Dunedin. They are from Perth, Australia and were a ton of fun. As we were walking down the street that night I mentioned my saying. They liked it a lot (of course) but then one of the guys (his name is Ian) said that he too has a saying that he made. His saying is:

"You're better off looking at it than looking for it"

Wow! I was blown away! He and I, in totally separate hemispheres, had created two saying with almost identical meanings! What were the odds that we would meet? So, mostly I'm writing this because I thought that those of you who are out there already spreading the word on "Too much is always enough" should know that from time to time you can also throw out "You're better off looking at than looking for it." I leave it up to you my loyal readers for decide which saying is better for any given situation.

Matt

3 comments:

David said...

Too much is always enough -- works for pasta...but You are better off looking at it then looking for it -- doesn't work for pasta....But does work for Guinness.

cheers. dpg

A Family Abroad said...

David lost us. Is the point that we should be eating the pasta? but why not the Guinness?

Anonymous said...

I think your comment is better all-around. Ian's is just strnge- of course you're better off looking at it than for it, but sometimes you have to look for it before you can look at it.

Archive