Thursday, November 09, 2006

Three Books, Four Days


Well, we've been chasing this bat around all night and sleeping all day but the rest of the time (and actually a lot of the time we've been chasing as well) I've been reading. I've read three John Grisham books this week. The first one (The Partner) was VERY good. The second one (The Last Juror) was not quite as good and the third (The Broker) basically sucked.
I have always lumped John Grisham into the same group with Michael Chrichton and Stephen King. They are writers who write lots of books and are wildly popular but get a snort if you say you like them in public. They are the Vanilla Ice of literature. Everyone does a bit a dancing when they are alone but you don't go out and tell your friends about it. I figured that Grisham wrote one kind of book and that he just basically changed the names of the main characters.
I expected that all of his books would be something like this:
John is brought in for murder. John didn't do it. All the evidence is against John. Only one lawyer is willing to take up the case. Eventually they prove that John didn't do it. They catch the person who did. The End.
It turns out that none of the Grisham books I have read have even come close to that. It is true that his focus is on law (except for in The Broker but, like I said, that one sucked). However, law can be approached from many, many different angles.
Anyway, those of you who know me best know that I HATE it when people tell me anything about the plot of a movie or book. I don't even read the back of books I buy until I'm finished reading them. In that light I am not going to tell you anything about the plots of these books. I'm just going to say that for those of you who, like me, had dismissed John Grisham as not worth your time he is worth picking up for a plane ride. The Partner was VERY good, The Last Juror was quite good, and The Broker was terrible.

No comments:

Archive